Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Two Weeks

I have hit the legit home stretch now - I have two weeks left SLU-Madrid Adventure.  It is a crazy to think about really.  I skyped my friend Steph tonight and we talked about time - as I have with some of my other friends during the last couple of days.  Time is a weird thing when you look back at it.  For example, it feels like forever ago that I was in Chicago boarding a plane to Madrid, but then again this semester has blown by.  I can't believe only four months ago I packed my stuff up in my apartment with Steph and moved out of SLU - it seems forever ago.  And my trip to Paris the third weekend I was here seems long ago.  But as I said before this semester has literally been one of the fastest if not the fastest semester of college so far.

Today was my last day of my Monday/Wednesday classes.  We reviewed in my EAS class for our final which was surprising very helpful for the final - now I just have to find the motivation and buckle down and focus for all my finals.  I need to work just a little longer and then finals will be over and I will be on a plane back home - I know I sound like I want to be home right now, which is somewhat true, but I know it is going to bitter-sweet.  I have made a life for myself here.  I mean I have lived here for four months - how could I not be sad to be leaving?  Another thing is two of my best friends here do not go to SLU back in the states - Elizabeth and Megan.  Elizabeth is from Chicago and goes to school at Creighton and Megan is from Minnesota and goes to school at Bethel.  It will be weird next semester to not be at the same school as them - it will take some adjustment to get use to things back at SLU especially since some of my good friends at SLU will be studying abroad next semester.  Sad.  But I was able to handle coming to Spain barely knowing anyone and making friends quickly and easily - and friends that I know I will have for a life time.

Anyways, back to my last day of classes - I got my history paper back today and did not do as well as I would have liked to.  I worked really hard on that paper - put a lot of effort into it and had about 5 people edit it and I looked over it numerous times.  I am just upset that I didn't do well, because I put the effort into the paper.  If I would have written the paper quickly, before it was due, and didn't take the time to edit it I wouldn't be disappointed in my grade, but since I thought I did well on the paper I am disappointed in my grade.  I am debating on whether or not to go and talk to my teacher.  I mean with the comments of the paper it doesn't seem as though he would be willing to change the grade of the paper - I am going to sleep on it and see what I feel like in the morning.

As the days of my study abroad experience and dwindling down I have been thinking a lot about the experience I have had while in Madrid and while traveling the world (not just Europe, since I went to Morocco)!  One thing my thoughts have been focusing a lot on is the relationships I have - friendships really, but also my relationship with myself and my family.  When studying aboard you realize that people who are really willing to make the effort to stay in contact with you.  Now, I am not trying to hurt anyone here, but you really do find out who are your true friends.  The ones that ask you to skype or make an effort to see what I have been up to during my time in Spain.  Friendships, well all relationships, are a two way street.  There is only so much one person can do without getting anything in return.  Trust me it is not the greatest felling when you realize a friendship you thought was strong is no longer a healthy relationship.  I wouldn't change having this experience for anything in the world - it truly has been the experience of a lifetime.  Thank you to all the people who have made this experience what it has been - especially the rents for funding most of the experience - thanks guys :)

So what else has been going on in my life? Well..
1. My art history professor asked us to email her pictures of us that Colosseum and the Pantheon for the people who went to Rome - well I emailed her a couple of pictures and this is the email I received back
Muchisimas gracias, Victoria, estas guapisima!!!!!!!!!!!
See you tomorrow in class.
Besos y abrazos
Curra

For those who do not speak Spanish roughly translated it says:
Thank you so much Victoria you are goregous
See you tomorrow in class
kisses and hugs
Curra

One of the nicest emails I have received in a while (much better than the one my mom sarcastically sent me that other day with this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NvgLkuEtkA   Love you mom).  Anyways, my professor Curra decided to put my pictures in a powerpoint presentation and show the whole class and tell the whole class that I was beautiful numerous times - oh it was great! haha

2. Where I work got a new dress code - "Black dress pants and black shoes and men's black tie with a while long sleeve dress shirt"  Yes you read correctly I will be looking like a man this summer at good old Pick and Save - oh I love my life and my job... I just have to keep telling myself that is why I am going to college!

3. I got to skype Scott and Kelsey tonight - they will be picking me up from the airport when I head down to SLU for the weekend after I get back!!!! Sooo excited to see them!! The rain better be done by the time I get there guys!!

4. Gloria made hummus for dinner last night and it was wonderful :)

5. I should be studying for my finals at the present moment, but blogging and talking to my friends is more fun.  But the thing is after a certain time of day my brain shuts off and just can't study any more - I work a lot better in the morning for sure.

Well anyways I think that is all for tonight.  Hope everyone is having a good hump day (Wednesday)! Love you all.  I will leave you with some things to ponder and some "interesting" facts.

  • Is a vacuum good if it really sucks?
  • 111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321
  • Why are they called stands when they are made for sitting?
  • Why doesn't glue stick to the bottle?
  • To burn off one plain M&M candy, you need to walk the full length of a football field. 
  • Why do we sing take me out to the ball game when we are already there?
  • The dot over the letter "i" is called a tittle.
  • By raising your legs slowly and lying on your back, you cannot sink into quicksand.
  • Why is it called "after dark" when really it is "after light"?
  • If Wal-Mart was classified as a country, it would be the 24th most productive country in the world.
Ponder those for a little.

Paz y Amor. God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment