Saturday, February 12, 2011

Tourist in my own city.

Just as the title says I was a tourist in my own city - Madrid.  I have been traveling around Spain and to Paris, but I hadn't taken the time to explore what is basically in my own back yard.  I mean I have been to sol numerous times and to a couple of the parks but that is about all.  Today Megan and I went shopping on a street close to me and then we went to Plaza de España and explored.  I really don't have a whole lot to say about it since we didn't have a tour - so I think the easiest way for my to explain what we did will be with pictures :)

The first spot Megan and I come to in the Plaza de España.  I actually came here on my first day in Madrid with Gloria; however, I was in shock I didn't remember coming here until I came back today.  I was able to appreciate the beauty today.

Me in front of Monumento a Miguel de Cervantes


Don Quijote y Sancho Panza

Another view of the monument.

The Gardens by the Royal Palace - Megan and I ate our ice cream here.


Royal Palace.

Mud Man.

More of the Royal Palace
About to walk in the gate of my new home - The Royal Palace.



The following pictures are from: Santa Maria la Real de La Almudena - Catholic Cathedral





Templo de Debod is an ancient Egyptian temple which was rebuilt in Madrid. It was a gift from the Egyptian government because Spain helped save the temples of Abu Simbel in 1968.

The view of Caso de Campo was beautiful

Things like this make me fall in love with Madrid.


Just chilling in front of the temple.

The amazing girl I got to spend the day with!! Look how cute she is!! 

Along with having a great looking at various things in Madrid, I also got to spend some quality time with Megan.  It was great just talking – we really opened up to each other.  We talked about almost everything – it was great.  She gave me advice on how not to plan my life so much and really let God take control – she used to be a hardcore planner just like me.  We also talked about our careers and plans for the future.  It is weird how my first impression of Megan has changed.  She was the first person I met in the airport coming to SLU-Madrid and I didn’t think we would be legit friends; however, she has turned into one of my best friends here.  It is never awkward with her and we have similar morals which really help.  Honestly I think people have completely different interests but what makes or breaks a strong friendship are the morals the two people have in common.  It is easier to relate and form a stronger bond when the morals are closely related.

After a wonderful day in Madrid I came back and relaxed and study for about an hour and a half and then it was time for my family birthday party.  Tonight Gloria’s daughter, Glo, Glo’s boyfriend, Gloria’s nephew and wife, and a past host student all came over for dinner tonight.  We were celebrating the February birthdays.  It is always a fun time with the family, even though I don’t talk much. I love just sitting and listening to everyone and I am able to pick up most of what they are saying so I can laugh and just enjoy being around family.  One of the funny things that happened at dinner tonight was Maya teaching us how to count to ten in Japanese.  Overall, it is just like any other family dinner in the States expect everyone is talking in Spanish.  However, sometimes there is English spoke or French since it seems like everyone knows more than one language. 

Well it is after 12:30 here and I am waking up to go to the Madrid Market – El Rastro in the morning early so I should be getting some rest.  Sorry that this blog doesn’t have much personal insight.  I am rather tired.  Also next week I have my EAS and Art History midterms and then I leave for Morocco on Friday night and come back Tuesday some time.  Then the next day I have my history midterm and then Thursday I have my ethics midterm.  My blogs might be shorter during the next two weeks, however, I am going to try my hardest to keep blogging – I think it will be a great study break!! I am extremely excited for Morocco!  Hope everyone is having a good weekend so far – don’t forget to go to church tomorrow ;)

Paz y Amor. God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment