Friday, January 14, 2011

First Taste at Spanish Night Life

Well I have finished my second day of classes and have now had all my classes for this semester.  I had Ancient Art History first and I really didn't know what to expect since I have never had an art history class.  I believe the art history class will be interesting, especially when I will travel I will have knowledge of what I am seeing in the various cities.  After my art history class I had about a four hour break.  During this break I put Euros on my Spain cell phone and had lunch with a couple friends.  I tried the fish today at school, but it was not Dad's salmon on the grill.  The fish seemed like a piece of rubber and I did not eat it - oh and it smelt really fishy.  Besides that I had a nice lunch. :)

Before my next class I had the chance to FaceTime mom!! I got to show her a little bit of campus and had a chance to catch up on what has all been going on.  Mom gave up showering to talk to me.... But I told her I was way important :) Thanks Mom.  My class at four was ethics - which is not going to be a fun class.  I just don't really like philosophy at all, but hopefully I will do well in the class and maybe even enjoy the class.

Side note on putting Euros on my phone... There is an African-Spaniard that stands outside the store VIPS (kind of like borders maybe) selling newspapers.  I have walked past this store three days in a row with different people; everyday this man and I have the same conversation: Him: "Hello, how are you?" Me: "I'm good, you?" Him: "I'm fiiine."  I can't help but to giggle when he says "I'm fine" because his voice gets high and it is just funny :)

Last night was my first taste of Madrid night life - I really didn't know what to expect so I thought I would just go with the flow and see what happens.  As you all probably know already, I am not a big partier - at all.  I left about 10 from my house with Maya and walked about 10 minutes to meet my friend Elizabeth.  By the way - 10 o'clock is really early to go out in Madrid.  Once we met up with Elizabeth, the three of us took the metro to Sol - where most people go to party.  Sol is a plaza and there are a lot of shops and bars and clubs in the area.  We meet up with a lot of girls and started to walk around in Sol.  Some of the people we were with wanted to "pre-game" before going to the club.  When Americans walk around in Sol they have people standing out there trying to get you to come to their bars.  They normally offer you a free shot or a free something and then hope when you are there you will buy more.  Well the group I was with just took the free drinks and kept on walking.  Eventually we ended up at the Club Joy.  At first it was really crazy and disorganized, because no one really knew what was going on.  It is interesting to see how nothing really gets started until about 1 o'clock in the morning.  I had a fun time at the Joy, however, Maya, Elizabeth, and I left around 3am - which again is considered early.  I am very glad I went and I want to experience more of the Spanish night life as the semester proceeds.

Elizabeth and I both don't have classes on Fridays where most of our other friends do, so we have decided that we want to explore Madrid and see what it all has to offer us.  Today I am going to El Prado - it is a museum and the Thyssen Bornemisza Museum!  I am very excited to see some of the culture of Madrid.  After the museums I think we are going out for tapas - Spanish omelet and possible Sangria.

I hope everyone is everyone the various blogs.  Please let me know know if there is anything else you want to know about my experience - I will be more than happy to share! Paz y amor.  God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment